Stores offering free holiday layaway
September 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hard to believe but retailers are already making a big push for the holiday season two months before Halloween!
Layaway is great if there's a hot new product that's selling out fast or maybe there's an item you want at a price that's too good to pass up.
It lets you lock in the purchase and then pay for it over time.
Toys R Us launched its holiday layaway program this week.
Toys R Us and Babies R Us customers got an email blast announcing back by popular demand free layaway for a limited time only. No upfront fees!
But when you read the fine print, it says there's a $5 service fee to put merchandise on layaway.
The company says, "There is usually a $5 upfront service fee for layaway, however, that fee is waived for the holiday season. There is no fee paid at the time the items are put on layaway."
Here's what you do have to pay to put an item on layaway: A deposit of at least 10% of the total price of your order plus all applicable taxes, and shipping charges.
Items must be paid for by December 15th.
The announcement by Toys R Us comes on the heels of Walmart's free layaway announcement two weeks ago!
The big box giant is also waiving its normal $5 layaway fee.
And Walmart Facebook fans will enjoy a two-day head start with access to layaway on September 11th and 12th.
The layaway program begins for everyone else next Friday and continues through December 13th.
Do beware WalMart is reinstating a $10 fee for layaway cancellations.
Toys R Us also charges $10 to cancel.
Meantime, K-Mart, Sears, and other retailers have ongoing layaway programs.
lifestyle, toys r us, walmart, kmart, sears, consumer news, nydia han
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 9 min ago
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter wounds 1, kills self
- Pregnant woman injured in crash with school bus 41 min ago
- 2-alarm house fire in Blackwood, NJ
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm
- Rider Univ. student thought missing found safe 15 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 21 min ago
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries 5 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 6 min ago
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 35 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 36 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb...
36 min ago
- Eva Pilgrim reports on snow preps around...
37 min ago