Best phone holders for your car
September 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- GPS sales are tanking as more and more people use their cell phones for driving directions. If you're considering making the switch to cell-phone navigating, you'll need a phone mount for your car. Consumer Reports just took a look at 11 models that cost $9 to $25.
Some mount on the dash or windshield. Others mount on vents, in cup holders, and in lighter sockets. One even attaches to the sun visor, but that's probably not the best design because it means you have to take your eyes off the road. And the instructions tell you to put it on the passenger side, which is out of your line of vision. The models that sit in a cup holder have the same disadvantage. You'll have to look down, taking your eyes off the road. Plus, you can't use your cup holder!
Consumer Reports also evaluated how easy each one is to use and how well it holds the phone. And to check for stability, the testers made some quick turns to see whether the phones stayed in place. Some didn't. The lighter socket mounts tended to be unstable, shaking a bit while you drive. And the ones that mounted on the vent were flimsy.
The models that Consumer Reports likes the best are the ones that attach to either the windshield or the dashboard. They hold the phone securely and keep it right where you can see it easily. The favorite among Consumer Reports staffers is the $20 Iottie. It holds phones in place, is easy to use, and keeps your eyes facing toward the road.
Though using your cell phone is convenient, Consumer Reports says there are advantages to using a dedicated GPS unit. The sound quality is better, and GPS reception is reliable. If you're looking to buy one, Consumer Reports named a Garmin model a Best Buy for $160. It is the Garmin Nuvi 2455LT.
lifestyle, consumer reports, cell phones, consumer news
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 37 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 53 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 58 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa 48 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 16 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
28 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
16 min ago