Consumer Reports: Dangerous strollers
January 1, 2014 (WPVI) -- Strollers are a must-have for new parents, but they can be dangerous.
Over the years Consumer Reports and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have found several strollers that could pose a risk of strangulation.
The latest figures from the CPSC include reports of five deaths between 2006 and 2009. So it is very important to be careful which stroller you buy and to use it properly.
The problem with some strollers is the size of the space between the tray and the seat. The opening is large enough to allow a child's unharnessed torso to slide through but not big enough for the head. So the head can get caught, and a child can be strangled.
To stay safe, all children should be harnessed in their strollers. But Consumer Reports says strollers should be safe even if the child is unharnessed.
Consumer Reports' tests have found several strollers in the past few years that pose a strangulation risk. Many have been recalled. But a recall doesn't mean the strollers are completely off the market.
Consumer Reports recently went on Craigslist and easily bought two used strollers that had been recalled because of a strangulation hazard.
When shopping for a stroller, check Consumer Reports' buying advice and recommendations.
Recommended strollers perform well in Consumer Reports' safety tests. One good choice is the $180 Chicco Cortina.
Whichever stroller you use, Consumer Reports says be sure to always use the harness to strap in your child.
If you already have a stroller and want to check the recall list, go to the website www.recalls.gov.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website.
lifestyle, consumer reports, consumer news, nydia han
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 39 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 20 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
57 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
39 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
20 min ago
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos