Chicken recalled over contamination fears
March 4, 2008 -- A New York company recalled nearly 7,000 pounds of chicken and meat products Tuesday while three other companies recalled another 16,332 pounds of a chicken product because the foods could be contaminated with the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes.
Listeria is a microorganism that can cause serious or fatal infections in children, the elderly or those with weakened immune systems. No illnesses have been reported to date, according to the Agriculture Department's Food Safety and Inspection Service, which sampled the products. 6,970 pounds of 12 meat and poultry products, which each bear the production code GBD 08058 on the package. These products, which are mostly chicken but also include meatloaf and turkey, were sent to stores in Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wisconsin, as well as distribution centers in New York.
In separate announcements this week, three importers recalled 16,332 pounds of Discover Cuisine Red Curry Chicken & Jasmine Rice, with a best buy date of Dec. 18 this year, because the food also could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. This was sent to stores nationwide.
This product's recall includes 3,780 pounds from Inovata Foods of Alberta, Canada; 10,368 pounds from Costco Wholesale of Issaquah, Wash., and 2,184 pounds from Meijer Distribution Center of Grand Rapids, Mich.
For more information on the curry chicken and rice recall, consumers can call Inovata at 780-454-8665 ext. 236. For more information on the recall from Gourmet Boutique, consumers can call 718-977-1200.
On the Net:
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 41 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 9 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 1 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 32 min ago