Saving With 6abc
Goodwill hosts prom gown sale
PENNSAUKEN, New Jersey - March 26, 2010 (WPVI) -- A frothy tulle gown with an embroidered bodice in robin's egg blue still has its $320 price tag -- but some lucky high-school girl can get it to wear to her prom for just $79.99.
A Jessica McClintock block-print gown in black, white and pink is just $59.99. And a lilac satin Vera Wang gown is priced hundreds below retail for $99.99
Those are just a few examples of the hundreds of prom gowns that will be on sale at the Goodwill Prom event on Saturday, March 27, 2010, at the Goodwill store at 5461 Route 70 in Pennsauken. The sale will run from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
"You'll see new-with-tags and of course, gently used," explains Goodwill's Juli Lundberg. "And those prices are starting at $7.99.
There will also be a wide range of styles, sizes and colors.
"We have great relationships in the community with area boutiques and bridal shops and we get brand-new gowns donated to us, so you can find things with a $400 price tag on it and it would only be $79.99 on Goodwill," Lundberg adds.
Among the dresses, we spotted some of this year's hottest trends -- including vibrant shades of blue and orange, and short, cocktail-length dresses.
And in today's economy, the sale is a good chance for high-school students to learn the benefits of savvy consumer spending.
"You can wear it once and have extra money to spend on accessories, hairdo and everything else," Lundberg says. "And when you're done with it you can donate it back to Goodwill and be green."
In addition to the Goodwill event, the Career Wardrobe's Wardrobe Boutique is having an event called "Prom-o-rama" from noon until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 27, 2010. Admission is $5 and includes light refreshments. The first 25 shoppers will get gift bags, in addition to first dibs on the sample and gently-used gowns.
For more information on the Prom-O-Rama, click here.
clothing savings, money saving, thrift, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 46 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
47 min ago