Saving With 6abc
Poor economy is opportunity for young entrepreneur
MT. AIRY - Augsut 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- At Dolly's Boutique in Mount Airy, you can find deals like an Oleg Cassini wool suit for $59, a Bob Mackie embellished sweater for $32, a Talbots lace blouse for $19 and True Religion jeans for $40.
Clearly, the prices at Dolly's are great, but the real draw at the Germantown Avenue Boutique is the shop's owner.
Shani Newton, of Mount Airy, opened this consignment shop and named it for her late grandmother, after a decade of selling accessories at flea markets, holiday bazaars and hair salons.
And while many businesses are suffering in this economy, Shani credits the recession for giving her the opportunity to pursue her entrepreneurial dream.
"A slow economy is not always a bad thing for people," Newton says. "There's opportunities that might not necessarily be available in better times."
"I was born and raised in Mt. Airy, and I never really imagained, when I imagined having my store, I couldn't imagine it being in Mt. Airy because of the cost, even to live, in Mt. Airy."
Shani was able to take a storefront on Germantown Avenue. Her business helps consigners make money from clothes they're not using and enables shoppers to buy clothes and accessories at affordable prices.
Naima Black of Germantown says, "First and foremost, Shani's such a pure heart and it's so much fun to be in the store. And not long after she opened, I came up here, I did almost all my Christmas shopping here. I got things for people that I never would've been able to afford."
Good timing, good deals and Shani's great personality have all helped Dolly's grow over the past six months. And Shani's not done yet.
"It's our hope in the next six months to start our men's and children's line as well," Newton says.
Dolly's Boutique and Consignment is located at 6778 Germantown Avenue, near Carpenter Lane. The phone numbers are 215-438-6370 or 215-668-5221. The shop is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from noon until 6:00 p.m., on Thursdays and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
You can also check out Shani's website by clicking here.
consignment, money saving, thrift, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 18 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 50 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 18 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 18 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
18 min ago