Saving With 6abc
63-year-old antique store has going-out-of-business sale
ANTIQUES ROW - August 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- For 63 years, Albert Maranca Antiques at 11th and Pine streets has been the go-to spot on Antiques Row for large antiques and reproductions.
But the store has become a victim of the poor economy, and now, the owner is holding a going-out-of-business sale.
"It's very hard," John Christaldi says of his decision to close the store his uncle opened in 1957. "It's a great business. But the economy, the last four or five years, has really been bad and I think it's just time to quit."
Christaldi took over the business from his uncle Albert Maranca in 1985. He says if he didn't own the building, he would've been forced to close several years back.
He has a new tenant ready to move in. So, he's cut prices on everything 60 percent.
"I'm taking a loss on most of the stuff. But it's better for me to sell it than to move it and store it," Christaldi says. "So, I will not refuse any sensible offer."
An English chest that was $1200 is now $480. A bronze inkwell that was $250 is now priced at $100.
You can buy a pair of bronze and porcelain monkey candlesticks for $640. A banquet-sized dining table that was $6900 is now selling for less than $3000.
And even a14-foot tall bronze Gloria Victis statue is also for sale. "It's a one-of-a-kind piece, Christaldi explains. "It was $35,000 and I reduced it to 30, and now, it's $15,000."
If the statue doesn't sell, Christaldi says he hopes to donate it to a hospital or war memorial for display.
During the sale, the store's open from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. every day. But Christaldi lives over the store and says he's happy to schedule evening appointments for serious buyers.
The store is located at the corner of 11th and Pine streets. The phone number is 215-925-8909.
going out of business, money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Snow today, heavy at times 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 54 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 49 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 58 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
40 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
49 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
58 min ago