Saving With 6abc
Two local businesses hold store-closing sales
Nov. 10. 2010 (WPVI) -- A $6,600 chandelier for $4,100 dollars. A $1,400 leather chair for $1,000. And an array of Oriental rugs at 70% off. These are just some of the deals at Propper Brothers furniture in Manayunk, as the store closes its doors after 122 years in business.
"There are bargains galore and they're here for the taking," says store owner Sam Kroungold. Propper Brothers has occupied a building at the corner of Cresson and Levering streets since its founding.
"We are closing because there's a wide variety of opportunities that I have found for the use of this building," Kroungold says. "Times have changed, retail has changed, and there's opportunity out there. And I think it's just time to move on."
Many of the high-end furniture items don't have sale prices on them. Instead, they're marked with a red "X." But Kroungold's goal is to move all the inventory out by mid- to late-January, so they'll consider all serious offers. He thinks a $25,000 wall unit he showed me could sell for about $10,000.
At the opposite end of the retail specturm, the Kmart at 424 West Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia is also having a store-closing sale.
Store associates say the scheduled closing date here is Janauary 9, 2011, which surprised some shoppers there the day we stopped by.
"My friend, he's with me, he said, 'You know they're closing this store?'" says shopper Dorothy Hendrickson of South Philadelphia. "And I said, 'What?' I'm really shocked. This place been around forever. "
During our visit, we found linens, clothing and toys for 20% off. Cosmetics for 30% off and sterling silver jewelry for 50% off.
We found plenty of shoppers taking advantage of the sale to do some early holiday shopping. Shopper Maggie Stephan, also of South Philadelphia, said, "I got a lot for Christmas. I have twin 5-year-old boys, so I stocked up on some Christmas presents."
For more information about Propper Brothers, click here.
For Kmart's website, click here.
going out of business, money saving, manayunk, south philadelphia, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 911 calls from Newtown, CT shooting released 16 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion