Saving With 6abc
Two local businesses hold store-closing sales
Nov. 10. 2010 (WPVI) -- A $6,600 chandelier for $4,100 dollars. A $1,400 leather chair for $1,000. And an array of Oriental rugs at 70% off. These are just some of the deals at Propper Brothers furniture in Manayunk, as the store closes its doors after 122 years in business.
"There are bargains galore and they're here for the taking," says store owner Sam Kroungold. Propper Brothers has occupied a building at the corner of Cresson and Levering streets since its founding.
"We are closing because there's a wide variety of opportunities that I have found for the use of this building," Kroungold says. "Times have changed, retail has changed, and there's opportunity out there. And I think it's just time to move on."
Many of the high-end furniture items don't have sale prices on them. Instead, they're marked with a red "X." But Kroungold's goal is to move all the inventory out by mid- to late-January, so they'll consider all serious offers. He thinks a $25,000 wall unit he showed me could sell for about $10,000.
At the opposite end of the retail specturm, the Kmart at 424 West Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia is also having a store-closing sale.
Store associates say the scheduled closing date here is Janauary 9, 2011, which surprised some shoppers there the day we stopped by.
"My friend, he's with me, he said, 'You know they're closing this store?'" says shopper Dorothy Hendrickson of South Philadelphia. "And I said, 'What?' I'm really shocked. This place been around forever. "
During our visit, we found linens, clothing and toys for 20% off. Cosmetics for 30% off and sterling silver jewelry for 50% off.
We found plenty of shoppers taking advantage of the sale to do some early holiday shopping. Shopper Maggie Stephan, also of South Philadelphia, said, "I got a lot for Christmas. I have twin 5-year-old boys, so I stocked up on some Christmas presents."
For more information about Propper Brothers, click here.
For Kmart's website, click here.
going out of business, money saving, manayunk, south philadelphia, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in New Jersey Turnpike chase
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in 43 min ago
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- Phillies rally for 3-2 over Reds 49 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list