Saving With 6abc
Couponers share stockpiles with those in need
May 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Last May, Kaley Ehret organized a drive in Souderton to collect food, toiletries and household items to donate to the Keystone Opportunity Center Food Pantry.
Ehret's the mom behind the money-saving blog ChaChing On A Shoestring. She organized the drive as a way for her coupon-using blog followers to give back -- by donating freebies and inexpensive items from their stockpiles. She called in Couponing for Community.
Ehret says, "We as couponers have the resources and the abilities to stretch our dollars so much further. As a result, we can provide for our own families, but we also have extra to give away. Couponing levels the playing field of who is able to give because, as you shop, you get so much more for your money."
Ehret's success inspired more than 100 frugal bloggers nationwide to join in this year's efforts. Among them, For the Mommas blogger Shannon Shafer.
Mama Cheaps blogger Devon Weaver says extreme couponers have been getting a bad rap as excessive hoarders. But her readers are thrilled to share their bargains.
Weaver says, "The time is now for couponers to come out and say, 'this is not who we are.' We use our coupons to shop the sales , make savvy choices, stick within our budgets, but also give back to the community. "
money saving, coupon codes, online saving, printable coupon, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 12 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish