Saving With 6abc
Save even more on home-grown vegetables
BURLINGTON, New Jersey - May 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Gardeners know that home-grown vegetables cost a lot less than store-bought ones. And now, there's a way to save even more, on the seeds from which those vegetables can be grown.
Michael Podlesny began gardening as a child and now grows all sorts of vegetables in his Burlington, New Jersey, backyard.
"With the rising cost of everything, people are looking for ways to save money," Podlesny says. "So it's really been just a good thing to do and it's just a lot of fun."
He says he got the idea from something that had nothing to do with gardening.
"A couple of years ago, we joined one of the movie clubs and I was sitting there and I said, 'this would be a great idea to do with seeds.' "
Michael buys seeds in bulk from farms all over the country, packages them and distributes them to people who pay between $1.79 and $2.48 (depending on subscription length) a month to join the Club. The seeds end up costing about 50% less than retail prices.
He explains, "Their first month, they'll get all the staples, peppers, tomatoes, things of that nature. And then every month thereafter, they'll receive four more packs of different varieties, based on customer feedback, seed popularity, and the cost of what the vegetables are going for in the stores. So this way, people are growing things so they can save money."
Since the seeds last two to five years, Club members can hold onto them until they're ready to plant. And once the vegetables begin to grow, they can harvest some big savings.
"You're already saving from the get-go, and then once you start harvesting the fruits and vegetables, you're going to save even more," he says.
To learn more about the Seed Club, click here.
money saving, food savings, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- London theater partially collapses; 40 injured 7 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 10 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 8 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 45 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
33 min ago
Saving with 6abc Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos