Saving With 6abc
Save on back-to-school shoes by refreshing last year's
MONTGOMERYVILLE, Pa. - Aug. 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- Buying new shoes can take a big bite out of your back-to-school shopping budget. But before you hit the mall, check your kids' closets to see if what they already have can be refreshed.
Kirsten Boettcher, Marketing Manager for the Montgomery Mall, explains, "Many stores carry great products to refresh your last year's shoes. So you may not have to worry about getting new shoes. Kids grow fast, sometimes they grow out of their shoes, but if for some reason their shoes still fit, you can definitely come to the mall and pick up some of the cleaning supplies or refresher supplies."
Ugg-style suede boots are still a hot fashion trend. If last year's boots still fit, but are stained, they can likely be salvaged.
Boettcher says, "Water damage can be especially bad for the suede shoes."
Famous Footwear stores sell a suede cleaner kit for just $5. It includes both an eraser and a brush. Once the boots are clean, water-proofing is the key to making them last.
For leather shoes, there are other cleaning options, such as a gel cleaner also sells for $5.
And there's no need to buy lots of new sneakers. Payless Shoe Source sells sneaker cleaners and brighteners for $5 or less.
And you can change up the look of those clean shoes by adding all sorts of laces -- which sell for just $2 or $3 a pair. There are all sorts of colors and patterns, including rainbow curly elastic laces and camouflage styles.
money saving, clothing savings, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation 45 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep 48 min ago
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens 52 min ago
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ 33 min ago