Saving With 6abc
This Fall's trend: Classic coats for less
SPRINGFIELD, Pa. - Oct. 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The weather's getting cooler, which means it could be time to go shopping for a new coat.
"This season, we're seeing darker hues: deep purple, hunter green," explains style expert Alison Deyette. "We're seeing camel and classics like red and black have made a return. And we're seeing all different styles from the car coats to the pea coats to even ponchos are back."
We met style expert Deyette at the Marshall's in Springfield, Pa. She says the good news is that this year's trends are also classics and you should be able to find coats that fit the bill at off-price and discount stores.
For example, she showed us a camel coat by Tahari that retails for about $378. But Marshall's has it for $130. Extra detailing around the collar is what makes it "this year."
Another classic that's back this year is the trench coat. A trench by Kenneth Cole that retails for about $180, was on sale at Marshall's for $80.
Ponchos are also big this year.
Deyette says, "The poncho, you're not going to wear throughout the whole winter season. it's not warm enough to insulate you against the cold temperatures but it is great weekend wear, or just going out to the movies."
A knit poncho can sell for just $50.
The final trend that's in this year is a bit of embellishment, whether it's the buckles, buttons or ruffles, which are featured on a hunter-green pea coat by Guess. It retails for about $180, but is discounted to $80.
Deyette says that by buying a coat that will last for more than one season, you can save even more.
"You want something that's classic," Deyette advises. "A coat is something that shouldn't be so over-the-top trend oriented that it's only going to last a season.
clothing savings, money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 12 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 51 min ago
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 13 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 16 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
15 min ago