Saving With 6abc
Tool library offers saving to Do-It-Yourselfers
WEST PHILADELPHIA - Dec. 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- If you need a tool for a specific project, buying it doesn't always make financial sense. Especially if, when you're not using it, it's just going to sit on a shelf. That's where the West Philadelphia Tool Library comes in.
The West Philly Tool Library is a non-profit co-op that was started about 15 years ago. Members pay $20-$40 a year, according to their ability.
Stacey Toliver of the Tool Library explains, "For your subscription, you have access to all the tools we have available. And you can take them out for up to a week, with the potential for renewals as well."
Tools are ideal for borrowing for several reasons, as Librarian Kathleen O'Donnell explains.
"If you have these tools, you have to have a place to put them.And a lot of people don't have a garage, so they're piled in their basement, they're hard to get in and out, and if you only use them once in a great while, they're very expensive to have."
Most of the tools at the tool library have been donated, though the board will use money from the memberships to buy some high-demand items. And no matter what your project, you're likely to find what you need: anything from small items like hammers and drills to large specialty items like a cement-mixer or an engine hoist.
Plus, members share tips and advise.
You don't have to live in West Philadelphia to join the West Philly Tool library. It's open weeknights and Saturdays. Just click here for more information.
money saving, west philadelphia, construction spending, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ