Saving With 6abc
J.C. Penney debuts new pricing policy
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - Feb. 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- You've likely seen the commercials with people screaming in frustration as they clipped coupons or arrived at sales that had ended.
All ended with today's date. The day J.C. Penney stores debuted their new "Fair and Square" pricing policy, along with other in-store changes like wider aisles, lower racks and a more liberal return policy.
Hank Clacko, manager of the J.C. Penney store at the the Cherry Hill Mall, explained the new policy, "You don't see all these different coupons. You don't see Saturday morning specials. You see three very basic pricing strategies in our store."
First are the everyday prices, which have red price tags.
Clacko explains, "What we call our everyday prices were basically our sale prices last year."
Then there are monthly specials. These are advertised in a once-a-month circular that was sent to about 14 million US homes. An example, Arizona jeans that were $37, are now everyday priced at $22, but are just $17 in February.
And finally, there are the blue-tagged "Best Price" items. Basically, these are what used to be clearance.
What you don't see on the tags (or at least you won't once all are updated) is an "original" or manufacturer's suggested retail price. J.C. Penney says the new "every day" prices are the equivalent of what used to be sale or coupon prices, but will shoppers buy as much if those savings aren't spelled out for them? The shoppers we spoke with today seemed positive about the concept.
Susan Roulston of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, said, "I think it's more similar to the sale prices, at least in the section where I was looking. I was looking at dresses and the prices were pretty good over there."
Caroly Baylor of Woodlynne, New Jersey, agreed. "A dress for $10 is a dress for $10," she said.
money saving, clothing savings, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 23 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 23 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 32 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
23 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
12 min ago