Saving With 6abc
J.C. Penney debuts new pricing policy
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - Feb. 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- You've likely seen the commercials with people screaming in frustration as they clipped coupons or arrived at sales that had ended.
All ended with today's date. The day J.C. Penney stores debuted their new "Fair and Square" pricing policy, along with other in-store changes like wider aisles, lower racks and a more liberal return policy.
Hank Clacko, manager of the J.C. Penney store at the the Cherry Hill Mall, explained the new policy, "You don't see all these different coupons. You don't see Saturday morning specials. You see three very basic pricing strategies in our store."
First are the everyday prices, which have red price tags.
Clacko explains, "What we call our everyday prices were basically our sale prices last year."
Then there are monthly specials. These are advertised in a once-a-month circular that was sent to about 14 million US homes. An example, Arizona jeans that were $37, are now everyday priced at $22, but are just $17 in February.
And finally, there are the blue-tagged "Best Price" items. Basically, these are what used to be clearance.
What you don't see on the tags (or at least you won't once all are updated) is an "original" or manufacturer's suggested retail price. J.C. Penney says the new "every day" prices are the equivalent of what used to be sale or coupon prices, but will shoppers buy as much if those savings aren't spelled out for them? The shoppers we spoke with today seemed positive about the concept.
Susan Roulston of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, said, "I think it's more similar to the sale prices, at least in the section where I was looking. I was looking at dresses and the prices were pretty good over there."
Caroly Baylor of Woodlynne, New Jersey, agreed. "A dress for $10 is a dress for $10," she said.
money saving, clothing savings, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 1 death reported in East Harlem building explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 22 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 56 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
38 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
34 min ago