Saving With 6abc
Budget-friendly, healthy food shopping
NORTH PHILADLEPHIA - April 2, 2012 (WPVI) --
Joel Legatt is a health and nutrition educator at 11th Street Family Health Services.
The clinic is near the Fresh Grocer supermarket at Progress Plaza (1501 North Broad St.) and Joel gives clients store tours, while offering tips on how they can shop healthy and still stick to their budgets.
The advice is good no matter where you shop.
"You have to be more careful and you have to be smart about certain options," Legatt says. "But there are healthy options out there."
His first tip: Before you shop, check the weekly specials, especially deals on produce and lean proteins.
"If you go in with a game plan, you're going to come out with better results," he says.
The week we went shopping, the deals included bananas for $.39 a pound, lettuce for $.99, cantaloupes two for $3 and split chicken breasts for $.99 a pound.
For the chicken, Legatt explained, "As long as you grill it, you broil it or you bake it, as opposed to fry it, it can be really healthy. It's got a lot of protein, very little fat, especially if you take the skin off."
He adds that protein doesn't always mean meat and suggests fish, beans and rice, and peanut butter as money-saving options.
The next trick, he says is to watch portion sizes. One serving of meat should be about the size of your palm, so what's packaged as one steak, might really be enough for two people.
"Cutting the portion sizes, a) it's healthier for you -- it's better for your belly -- but it's also better for your wallet," Legatt says.
He also suggests buying produce when it's in season locally, which makes it less expensive, and freezing it for future use. Click here to find links describing what's in season when in our area.
Finally, he suggests avoiding the temptation to spend money on unhealthy snacks, by avoiding the center aisles of the store, where most processed items are located.
He says, "A good rule of thumb is shop the perimeter of the store."
To find a Fresh Grocer near you, and to learn when they're offering healthy shopping store tours, click here.
To find out more about the 11th Street Family Health Services, click here.
food savings, philadelphia, food, 6at4, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 14 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 26 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 55 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 58 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
36 min ago