Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Dental care for kids
April 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Consumer Reporter Nydia Han has a way even uninsured families can get dental care for their kids, for free.
A new program called Grin and Share It offers free dental care to uninsured kids. It's available not just once a year, but once every month at two facilities in Philadelphia.
Five-year-old Amalylah Darden enjoys her visits to KidsSmiles.
"They help my kids out a lot," says Rachel Darden of Southwest Philadelphia. "They've been coming here a couple years now."
The Dardens have insurance, but even children of uninsured families can enjoy the services at KidsSmiles - which has centers in Southwest and West Philadelphia.
"So once a month for the uninsured families, we just open our doors and let them come and they start like any other new patient," Cheryl Janssen, KidsSmiles CEO told Action News.
For the first appointment, the dentists will get your history and background and try to do all preventive services. The next visit in the following month, dentists will do restorative services like fillings. After that, KidsSmiles will try to work with you to find insurance.
"If they don't find insurance, they either fall into our flat fee - we do as much work as possible for $20 - or a sliding fee scale based on their family income," Janssen says.
Kids Smiles also focuses on education so families can learn how to maintain teeth and prevent problems.
children, philadelphia, money saving, 6at4, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Screaming vandal smashes police car windows 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 3 min ago
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
44 min ago