Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Dental care for kids
April 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Consumer Reporter Nydia Han has a way even uninsured families can get dental care for their kids, for free.
A new program called Grin and Share It offers free dental care to uninsured kids. It's available not just once a year, but once every month at two facilities in Philadelphia.
Five-year-old Amalylah Darden enjoys her visits to KidsSmiles.
"They help my kids out a lot," says Rachel Darden of Southwest Philadelphia. "They've been coming here a couple years now."
The Dardens have insurance, but even children of uninsured families can enjoy the services at KidsSmiles - which has centers in Southwest and West Philadelphia.
"So once a month for the uninsured families, we just open our doors and let them come and they start like any other new patient," Cheryl Janssen, KidsSmiles CEO told Action News.
For the first appointment, the dentists will get your history and background and try to do all preventive services. The next visit in the following month, dentists will do restorative services like fillings. After that, KidsSmiles will try to work with you to find insurance.
"If they don't find insurance, they either fall into our flat fee - we do as much work as possible for $20 - or a sliding fee scale based on their family income," Janssen says.
Kids Smiles also focuses on education so families can learn how to maintain teeth and prevent problems.
children, philadelphia, money saving, 6at4, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 12 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers 14 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Snow Ball 2013: Eagles vs. Lions 52 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 17 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Widener U. students help stuck drivers
14 min ago