Saving With 6abc
Big savings on items Penn students left behind
GREY'S FERRY - June 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- "It's pretty cool. It's a wonderful opportunity to get a great bargain."
That's how PennMoves coordinator Tracy Hawkins describes tomorrow's giant sale of items that Penn students left behind. And she calls the variety of items available for sale "amazing."
"Oh. my goodness," she says. "I am amazed because there's a lot of things that are brand-new.They have the price tags on them. They've never been used. They're in excellent condition."
Until 2008, when the PennMoves sale started, all the items -- some 90,000 pounds of "stuff" -- would end up in landfills.
Now, it's being sold at bargain basement prices, with the proceeds, and any leftovers, going to Goodwill.
Among the deals: Televisions for $15 to $25, refrigerators for $25 to $35, lamps for $5 or $10, and books for a buck.
There's even an area called "The Unique Boutique, " filled with new-with-tag and designer items.
Another room holds thousands of additional clothing items and accessories. Tops from names like J. Crew, Abercrombie and Gap are $2 each. Jeans -- even brands like American Eagle -- are $3 a pair.
In the furniture section, you can find chairs for $5, bookcases for $10 and the list goes on and on.
This year's sale is being held at 3401 Grey's Ferry Avenue. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 2, 2012. From 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m., admission to the sale is $5. After that, it's free until the doors close at 3:00 p.m.
clothing savings, money saving, thrift, university of pennsylvania, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 15 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze 26 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly 42 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
15 min ago