Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Generators and thermostats
September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Today's stormy weather had us thinking about something you might not normally think about: Generators and thermostats!
They can come in handy in case a bad storm causes a blackout at your house. It turns out, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one.
Consumer Reports just tested 14 power generators, ranging in price from around $700 to more than $3,000.
Stationary generators are more convenient. They run on natural gas or a large tank of propane and start automatically in a power outage.
For far less, Consumer Reports recommends a portable Generac, model GP 5500. This Best Buy will keep your basic necessities going for 670 dollars.
But be aware - no matter which you choose - you'll need to have plenty of fuel on hand. Also, get a transfer switch to safely hook up the generator. To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, you should never run a generator inside a garage or shed -- always run it as far as possible from your house, ideally at least 10 to 15 feet, and keep it away from doors and windows.
Slash Your Energy Bill
Now it's time to slash your energy bill. Consumer Reports tested 30 programmable thermostats to see how easy they are to use and how clear the display is. The ColorTouch Series T-5800 from the brand Venstar is the least expensive of the three top-rated models. It retails for $170. Its clear graphics make programming a snap. For far less, a no-frills $70 Lux thermostat from Lowe's is a Consumer Reports Best Buy. It's relatively easy to program and lets you enter different settings for each day of the week.
A programmable thermostat can save you up to $180 a year. To get maximum savings, depending on the season, raise or lower the thermostat five to 10 degrees overnight and when you're out. That should cut your bills an average of 10% to 20%.
saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 12 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 47 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 12 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
12 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
12 min ago