Saving With 6abc
More coverage, lower cost warranties
SEPT. 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Joe Montgomery, a special education attorney who lives in Center City, admits he's tough on phones.
"It's inevitable that I break my phone, probably like every other month," Montgomery says. "So I'm going in and out of the Apple store for a new phone."
So when Montgomery spotted an app from Square Trade offering a warranty that would cover his iPhone not only for malfunctions, but also for accidents, he bought in.
Shortly after that, he dropped a free weight on his phone at the gym.
"It was a 100-pound weight and I carefully dropped it, but dropped it right on the phone," he explains. "It literally was like a 'V.' I wish I had a picture of it or had the phone, but it dented it. It looked like it was run over. "
Square Trade warranties differ from those offered by phone providers in two ways. The first is that they do cover "user errors," as Ty Shay of Square Trade explained.
"For a lot of portable devices, our warranties include accidental damage coverage, which includes protection for things like if you drop your phone or get water on your phone, your phone is covered. Some warranties cover malfunctions. We actually cover accidents," he says.
Square Trade is also less expensive. AT&T -- for example -- charges $7 a month or $168 for two years to insure your iPhone with a$200 deductible for a replacement.
Square Trade charges just $99 for two years and the deductible is $50.
And where Apple Care covers three incidents over two years, Square Trade covers four.
And they don't just cover phones.
Shay adds, "Most any portable electronic device or appliance, you can get covered through Square Trade."
Montgomery says getting his new phone was easy.
"I just paid for it at the Apple store, showed them my receipt, and in two days, it was reimbursed."
Square Trade warranties must be bought within 30 days of your purchase date. You can see what they cover and how much it will cost on their website. Click here for more information.
money saving, online saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92 56 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Saving with 6abc Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos