Saving With 6abc
Car bargains for the end of 2012
October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're in the market for a new car, you might be able to get a great deal in the coming months, as long as you're willing to compromise a bit when it comes to having all the latest gadgets and gizmos
Jeannine Fallon of Edmunds.com explains, "This is a great time of year to shop for a new car . But it's particularly good if you look at some of the models that aren't going to be the same for the 2013 model year."
According to Edmunds.com, 13 cars that are being re-designed for 2013 are candidates for major discounts.
They include The Chevy Impala, Malibu and Traverse, The Ford Escape, Fusion and Mustang, The GMC Acadia, Honda Accord, Hyundai Santa Fe, Lexus ES350, Nissan Altima and Pathfinder, and The Toyota Avalon.
Fallon says, "There are lot of people out there who want the newsest and the latest technology. If you're not one of those people, pick up one of those older model-year vehicles. They're going to do a lot of great things for you and your family and they'll be a much better price. You won't have the latest and greatest, but you'll have something great.
She adds that you can save even more by educating yourself about auto-maker incentives and not letting dealers count them towards your price.
"No matter what car you're buying, first negotiate the purchase price of the car," Fallon says. "Then you take away the rebates and incentives that are available for that car because that's a bargain and a discount that you're going to get no matter what negotiating you've done. Make sure that you keep those two parts of the transaction separate."
It's also important to figure out the cost of owning and operating the car and include that in your car shopping budget.
"The "true-cost-to-own" calculator on Edmunds.com gives you an estimate of what you should expect to pay in your area for insurance, gas, parking and tolls, maintenance, repairs, all the things that normally come into play with the ownership of a car,"Fallon says.
For more information on the leftover 2012 car bargains, click here.
money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act