Saving With 6abc
Fall travel can mean big savings
Sept. 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Summer vacation is over and Winter Break is months away. But contrary to what you might think, this is a great time to take a vacation, especially if you want to save money.
In the travel business, this is what's known as "Shoulder Season."
Noelani Berkholtz of BookIt.com explains, "The great thing with booking during the shoulder season is that this is when rates are being brought down. Hotels want to entice you. So you can be doing some last-minute booking, which is great."
Among the recent deals on BookIt.com, rates starting at $98 a night at the Verdanza Hotel in Puerto Rico, plus kids stay free and a third night free, when you book two.
A Best Western in Orlando is offering rooms for $59 a night, including free breakfast and a $25 food and beverage credit.
If you want to stay a bit closer to home, how about Washington, DC? Most of the national attractions are free and you can book the Capitol Skyline hotel for just $89 a night Thursday through Sundays.
Berkholtz explains, "You get two free Spy Museum tickets, its a $42 value. You get free parking, which is another $25 value a day, kids stay free, so when you start adding on all of those discounts, it's pretty substantial."
Berkholtz adds BookIt is known for its package deals, where you save by purchasing airfare and hotel together.
But even if you're booking on your own, she has a few tips. Look for airfares on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when the flights tend to be cheapest and look for hotel deals after 6:30 at night.
To check out deals on BookIt.com, click here.
money saving, online saving, travel, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Police search for missing Delco mother 53 min ago
- Record Warmth! 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Record Warmth!
50 min ago