Saving With 6abc
Fall hair care from your kitchen
November 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- If your hair is starting to look dull or fee dry this autumn, before you run to the salon or drugstore, you might want to check your pantry.
So says Mahisha Dellinger, founder of Curls. And even though she sells hair-care products for a living, she's all for saving money when you can.
"I'm definitely an advocate of saving money," she says. "And doing as many do-it-yourself projects at home."
Dellinger ays one way to save money is to shampoo less often, especially as we get closer to Winter and its drier air.
She explains, "You definitely want to avoid -- especially if you're curly -- shampooing every day. That will rob the hair of its essential oils and dry it out. Even straight hair, you don't want to over-shampoo it. So we recommend going three days before you shampoo."
She also says it's important to moisturize your hair. And she showed me how to make a moisture treatment out of groceries, including avocadoes, coconut milk, honey and olive oil.
Her recipe: one can of coconut milk, blended with one smashed avocado, a tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of olive oil.
"Avocado is great for moisture and protein," she says. "It has a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids, so it's going to be great for the hair. it's another normal conditioning ingredient you'll find in a professional item. Omega-3's are great for your hair. "
You blend it together and then use it in the shower before you shampoo. It'll keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
She adds, "Anyone with color-treated hair will love this because it adds the moisture, but doesn't strip the color out."
To learn more about the Curls hair-care line and get other beauty tips, click here.
money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 52 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 8 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 13 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 19 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 37 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 28 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 37 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
8 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
13 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
29 min ago