Saving With 6abc
Checkbook rates moving companies for price, service
Nov. 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Moving to a new home can be challenging and stressful. And the last thing you want to do is add to the stress by over-paying, or choosing a mover who's not reliable.
Fortunately, the Delaware Valley Consumer's Checkbook has done some research on local movers for you.
Kevin Brasler explains the findings. "You can save a lot of money by picking the right mover. We found big price variation among local movers for local moves. To move an average size house -- three-bedroom, two- bath house -- 10 miles, we found prices ranged from about $3000 to nearly $9000 to pack and move."
That huge price range is why Brasler says you should get at least three estimates before you pick a mover. And then ask the movers to set a cap -- or top price -- so you're not hit with extra charges at the end.
He says, "Most movers, if you ask them, they'll put a cap. They'll say, 'It's 10 to 14 hours for the move, but I won't charge you for over 14 hours.' That's key, because otherwise you have no idea what you're paying."
As for quality, Checkbook found small local companies rated as well -- if not, in some cases, better -- than the large national chains.
And if you want to save money and cut stress, Brasler advises packing and moving as much as you can yourself.
He advises, "Move all the small stuff you can. The more lamps they have to carry out, one in each hand, the more you're paying. If you're paying $200 an hour carrying two boxes out at a time that's going to add up."
To read more about Checkbook's survey on movers, click here.
money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ