Saving With 6abc
USPS vs. UPS vs. FedEx: Who's cheapest?
December 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're sending Christmas presents to friends and family far away, shipping time is now. But what's the most cost-effective way to ship?
The cost-compairson website Cheapism.com compared the cost of shipping five- and ten-pound packages, using the United States Postal Service (USPS), United Parcel Service (UPS) and Federal Express (FedEx). They also compared overnight, two-day and ground shipping options.
And the site's founder says he was surprised by the results.
Max Levitte says, "We looked at different times, we looked at different distances and at different weights, just to kind of see the various options and the Post Office always came as the cheapest option."
For overnight shipping, the post office was up to 50% cheaper. And you can save even more if you use the post office website and have the package picked up, instead of taking it to the post office yourself. You'll also save by shipping to a business, instead of residential, address.
The main reason the post office came out ahead: those flat-rate shipping boxes.
Levitte explains, "You can stuff them. You can go up to 70 pounds on those boxes and still get the same rate."
However, if your package is more than 70 pounds, you'll want to choose UPS.
You'll also want to choose UPS or FedEx if you want to track your shipment.
Levitte says, "If you're looking for tracking, then UPS and FedEx give you tracking over everything, while the Post Office gives you tracking over some types of shipping and no tracking over other types of shipping."
To check out all the details on Cheapism.com's shipping survey, click here.
money saving, christmas, fedex, u.s. postal service, ups, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 4 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 6 min ago
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures