Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Is cheap gas OK?
Mradh 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- With gas prices seeming to climb higher every day, an easy way to save money is to opt for lower-grade gasoline.
According to AAA's Fuel Gauge Report, premium gas can cost about $.30 a gallon more than regular. But, will using a lower-grade gasoline hurt your car's engine?
The answer -- according to a new survey by Edmunds.com -- is "no."
Kelly Grego of Edmunds explains, "Don't worry about cheap gas. it will not effect your car. Because of today's advance technology, a car's engine is able to adjust to the variations of fuel. And the EPA also says that it's also safe for your car."
Edmunds also found no difference in the way your car performs when you buy name-brand gas versus that from no-name service station, though the branded gasolines may have more detergents and other additives. Click here for that survey.
"There's more additives in the branded gas, which means that there's more protection in the fuel, which means you're going to pay more at the gas pump," Grego explains.
And if you're trying to figure out your car's MPG, Edmund's found it's best not to rely on the car's built-in fuel-economy gauge. Some models over-estimated the fuel efficiency by 19 percent -- which could really wreak havoc on your budget. Click here for that survey.
Instead, do the math yourself -- note how many gallons of gas you're buying to fill your tank and divide by the miles traveled between times you hit "E."
money saving, gas prices, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 30 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 50 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 24 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 30 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 2 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 5 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 23 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 5 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
50 min ago