Saving With 6abc
How to find the right lawn care for your money
April 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Most people would love to have a perfect green lawn and many turn to lawn-care companies to help achieve that goal.
But what's the best way to choose a company and know that you're getting a good deal?
The folks at the Delaware Valley Consumer Checkbook have done the research, but even if you're choosing from among the companies they found had high-quality ratings from customers, Executive Editor Kevin Brasler suggests getting at least four estimates.
He explains, "You really do need companies to come out to look at your lawn, because what we do find is that a company that's low-priced for one lawn and one circumstance isn't necessarily going to be low-prices for the next lawn."
Checkbook found prices can vary a lot among companies. Even for the same size lot, with the same stated customer goals, undercover shoppers were quoted prices ranging from $448 up to $1,717.
And price isn't all you need to check.
Brasler says, "It's economical just to treat every customer's lawn that you have the same way, but it's not necessarily the best thing for your lawn. It's not necessarily the best thing for the environment if they're spraying all the lawns with herbicides and pesticides and heavy doses of fertilizers, whether you need it or not."
When you meet with a lawn-care company representative, you should share your priorities. For instance, are you more interested in a lawn that's weed-free, or in lawn-care that limits the use of pesticides?
Brasler adds, "You definitely want everything in writing: what are you going to do? when are you going to do it? and most important, what results can I expect? how soon should I expect to have a nice green lawn?"
And make sure if you're not satisfied, they'll refund your money -- as opposed to just re-treating your lawn with the same products they've already used.
To read more about the Delaware Valley Consumer Checkbook's analysis of lawn-care companies, click here.
money saving, lifestyle, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 50 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
50 min ago
Saving with 6abc Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos