Saving With 6abc
Save on cooling costs with easy tips
July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- The high temperatures during our summer waves can mean high utility bills as you try to keep your home cool.
Ben Armstrong of PECO says there are easy steps you can take to cut your air-conditioning costs.
First, try to place a/c units in shady spots.
Pointing a unit where we intervied him, Armstrong said, "The placement of the air conditioning unit here, is absolutely wonderful because it's surrounded by trees and shrubs that shade the condenser. That will help ensure that the condenser runs more efficiently."
Window units work best in spots that don't get direct sun as well. As for other windows in your home, draw your shades, blinds or curtains.
Armstrong says, "You would be amazed at the impact that the sun's heat can have on the efficiency of the devices that you use to cool your home. The best thing you can do is keep your shades drawn, your blinds drawn, especially during the afternoon hours to reduce the thermal impact of heating of the sun."
Also, make sure your air conditioner filters are clean, and try to use other appliances, such as dishwashers or clothes dryers, at night.
And find alternatives to using your full-size oven.
Armstrong adds, "When the weather is nice and we're not in a period where we're seeing storms, it's a great opportunity to use a grill or a smaller grilling device outside the home, to make sure that you're not creating that heat inside the home."
And while it's fine to turn room air-conditioners off when you're not home, for central air, it's best just to let the temperature go up a couple of degrees.
He explains, "It's ok to raise the temperature a few degrees using a programmable thermostat when you're not at home. A few degrees is what's key. If you raise it too much, it's going to cause the a/c unit to work much harder when you return to come down to that optimal temperature for your comfort."
For more of PECO's tips on saving money on summer cooling, click here.
lifestyle, money saving, heat wave, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 41 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 17 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
41 min ago