Saving With 6abc
HOMESpun Resale Boutique opens in Fairmount
FAIRMOUNT - August 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- The new clothing shop in the 1500 block of Fairmount Avenue has a vibe similar to an Urban Outiftters or an Anthropologie.
But HOMESpun Resale Boutique definitely doesn't have those retailers' prices. The inventory here is all donated.
Store manager Jenna Bryant explains, "I wanted this to be a unique experience, I wanted it to feel like a boutique, not a thrift store. And so we decided to knock out the walls and go with some really modern displays."
Bryant manages Homespun for Project Home, an organization that helps the city's homeless.
The organization's clients are the staff.
She explains, "We hire people from within the program here, our residents and alumni, and we give them job-training opportunities to eventually move them into the competitive employment market outside of Project Home. They get training on register, they get extra job coaching, as a lot of these people are coming to us with some pretty traumatic and intense experiences, some of them living 20 years on the street."
And while they get valuable job experience, shoppers get big bargains.
Clothing is priced by category. For example, all the skirts are $8, including a floral skirt from J. Crew and a new-with-tags Gloria Vanderbilt denim shirt that was originally priced at $34.
We found tops from Talbots for $5, suits from Escada and Worth for $20, and dresses for $10, including a vintage Norma Kamali sequined sheath.
There are also accessories, shoes, purses and men's clothing. The store just received a large donation from Boyd's, including dress shirts for $16, sports jackets for $25, and suits for $50.
The store won't have its official Grand Opening until September, but it is open to shoppers.
The address is 1523 Fairmount Avenue. Hours are Tuesday through Friday between 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
For more information on the HOMESpun Resale Boutique, click here.
lifestyle, clothing savings, thrift, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 28 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars 12 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 44 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 20 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
26 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
44 min ago