Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Savings through haggling
July 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you haven't tried negotiating lately, you are missing out on serious savings on all kinds of things.
When Kaitlyn Deane goes shopping, she never pays full price.
"I love to haggle," Deane says. "It's nice to bargain down people on certain things that you want to get for yourself."
"Eighty-nine percent of those who tried haggling for all sorts of goods and services were successful at it," says Tod Marks of Consumer Reports . "Men, well, they enjoyed haggling slightly more than women did, but women were equally as effective when they tried haggling."
Consumer Reports survey found furniture shoppers saved a lot; $300 on average. Doctor and dentist bills also came down $300 when people negotiated. Plus, people who haggled for appliances saved an average of $200. Another area where you should consider negotiating is over bank and credit card fees: Consumer Reports says people who did saved an average of $100.
But you have to speak up!
"Recently, on a shirt I just purchased there was a little stain on it," Deane said. "So I asked them for a percentage off, and they gave me 10% off."
Consumer Reports' shopping whiz Tod Marks has other winning strategies: "The most popular tactic consumers told us that they used to get a discount was to simply tell the salesperson that they're going to check a competitor's prices."
It also helps to find a competitive price before you negotiate.
"The only way you find out what a fair price is, is to check online forums, to check fliers, to check Web versus in-the-store pricesm," Marks says.
But always remember: It pays to be polite.
"You can catch more flies, and discounts, with honey than you can with vinegar!"
lifestyle, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 22 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete 42 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
38 min ago