Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Prepaid card pitfalls
July 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A growing number of consumers are using prepaid debit cards, but be warned: You can incur hefty fees.
Prepaid cards let you spend only what you load onto the card so no credit check is needed to get one. But some prepaid cards are much better than others.
Michael Feight takes care of almost all his financial transactions with his Green Dot prepaid card .
"It's convenient," Feight says. "It's accepted everywhere Visa is accepted."
Feight is very careful how he uses the card and says he's able to avoid almost all fees. But Consumer Reports Money Adviser's investigation of 26 prepaid cards finds many carry hefty charges.
"You can be charged an activation fee, a 'swipe fee' every time the card is used, a monthly maintenance fee, and even a 'dormancy' fee for not using the card often enough," said Margot Gilman of Consumer Reports Money.
Consumer Reports says the AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card charges $9.95 per month plus as much as $4.95 to load money onto the card and $2.50 for every ATM withdrawal.
The NetSpend Prepaid Visa Pay-As-You-Go card charges you every time you use the card.
"For a daily user of the NetSpend Pay-As-You-Go card, the 'swipe' fees could add up to hundreds of dollars a year," Gilman warns.
The Green Dot Card is another good choice. As Michael Feight has found, almost all fees can be avoided if you use it 30 times a month and reload with direct deposit.
You should always read the fine print carefully and be aware that prepaid cards are not protected by law against loss or theft. So find out if the card issuer has voluntary protections in place Also, try not to use prepaid cards to buy gas at the pump or pay for hotels or rental cars. Those companies can put extra holds on your card for a certain amount of time so you won't be able to use all your money.
lifestyle, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 15 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 54 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 51 min ago