Saving With 6abc
Home security for less
AMBLER, Pa. Nov. 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Just about every week, we hear more stories about home break-ins, in the city and the suburbs.
For many people, installing a home security system is too big an expense.
But DIY Hip Chicks blogger Beth Allen says if you remember three key words, you can make your home more secure without spending a lot.
She explains, "The first thing is lighting. It's really important that your home is well-lit. And if you can't afford an electrician to come and re-wire, which can be costly, you can go for solar lights.
A four-pack of solar lights, which may be enough to line your walkway costs about $50.
She also suggests adding motion-activated light controls.
"A motion -activated sensor that turns on lights as you walk into a room," is what she suggests.
There are also motion-activated lights that sound an alarm.
And that's the second key word: Alarms. Anything that makes noise when an intruder tries to get in will be a deterrent.
Stick-on alarms that work on doors or windows can cost as little as two for $15 and they sound a 95-decibel alarm.
The third security measure is locks.
Allen says, "You don't have to call a locksmith. There are some very simple, inexpensive ones that you can install yourself."
There are different models for sliding doors and sliding windows. And sometimes, you don't even need a lock to make a door secure.
She showed us how to wedge a 2-by-4 between a door to the outside and the opposite wall to stop would-be intruders.
She says, "Noone can get that door open because this wood is basically blocking them. It's like a barricade."
To read more of Beth's tips, click here for her blog.
lifestyle, money saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 21 min ago
- Milder Monday 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 21 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 3 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 21 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 19 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
21 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
21 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
21 min ago
- Milder Monday
8 min ago