Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: One accessory can make a holiday outfit
MOUNT AIRY - Dec. 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- When Shani Newton opened Dolly's Boutique and Consignment just over three years ago, her mission was to create a resale shop where women could find clothes that made them feel great at great prices.
She works with her customers to get the most out of their clothing budgets. And she says when it comes to dressing for all those upcoming holiday parties, start with basics you already own.
Newton explains, "To keep your costs down, I would just accessorize things that you already have in your closet. Everyone has an LBD, a little black dress, and you can always dress that up with a big chunky sparkly necklace, a scarf, you can also accessorize that with a really fabulous bag."
Slacks and a turtleneck, even jeans can also be the basis of a great holiday look.
Newton adds, "If you have one really sparkly piece, that's basically all you need to dress up your outfit."
Resale shops are great places to find statement jewelry pieces. Dolly's Boutique had chunky faux pearl necklaces and bracelets and rhinestone bracelets for under $35.
But you could also choose a sparkly scarf ($18), a unique purse ($40-$48), or a killer pair of shoes ($20-$30).
The more unexpected the accessory, the better. That means the unique vintage pieces you'll find in resale shops could be perfect.
"This is the number one thing that I tell my customers, matching is so NOT in anymore," Newton explains. "I'm trying to reiterate that to my customers, you do not have to match."
Click here to find out more about Dolly's Boutique and Consignment, which is located at 6778 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia's Mount Airy section.
lifestyle, money saving, consumer reports, clothing savings, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 44 min ago
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 46 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 55 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 45 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
44 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
46 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
55 min ago