Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Save at restaurants
December 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- 'Tis the season to spend time with family and friends...and that can involve a lot of dining out! Here are a few ways to have yourself a merry little meal without stepping into sneaky little spending traps.
1. Decode The Menu
Layout and design can often subconsciously shift our ordering patterns. For instance, a new study found that when menus omit the actual dollar sign we are less likely to focus on cost. Experts say we also spend more when we hear catchwords like succulent, tender or organic.
2. Know The Strategy Of Specials
They are usually read aloud, and most of the time the pricing isn't included. Experts say restaurants play on the fact that people won't want to appear cheap by asking for pricing information, but go ahead, ask! Researchers also say that men on a date are more likely to accept a server's offer for dessert, after dinner drinks or expensive wine. Also, the second-cheapest bottle of wine on the list is often marked up the most.
lifestyle, saving with 6abc
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator