Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Save at restaurants
December 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- 'Tis the season to spend time with family and friends...and that can involve a lot of dining out! Here are a few ways to have yourself a merry little meal without stepping into sneaky little spending traps.
1. Decode The Menu
Layout and design can often subconsciously shift our ordering patterns. For instance, a new study found that when menus omit the actual dollar sign we are less likely to focus on cost. Experts say we also spend more when we hear catchwords like succulent, tender or organic.
2. Know The Strategy Of Specials
They are usually read aloud, and most of the time the pricing isn't included. Experts say restaurants play on the fact that people won't want to appear cheap by asking for pricing information, but go ahead, ask! Researchers also say that men on a date are more likely to accept a server's offer for dessert, after dinner drinks or expensive wine. Also, the second-cheapest bottle of wine on the list is often marked up the most.
lifestyle, saving with 6abc
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives 11 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 12 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 13 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees 19 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
2 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
13 min ago