Saving With 6abc
Groupon and DIY Beauty treatments
Jan. 24, 2014 (WPVI) -- Favin Gebremariam spends her days finding money-saving health and wellness and beauty deals for Groupon.com, but she says if you don't want to splurge on a spa or salon, you can treat yourself at home to bargain beauty treatments.
"At Groupon, we offer all types of different experiences and treatments," Favin Gebremariam explains. "Most of our deals are discounted between 40%- and 60% and sometimes you can find deals for beauty at 90% discounts. So, really we want you to come checkout Groupon.com before you spend full price at any of the salons."
And while Groupon's deals like laser hair removal at 73% off can save you money and make you feel pampered, Favin's also discovered some Do-it-yourself beauty treatments that are extreme bargains.
"You can get the exact same results as if you went to the spa for really cheap and a lot of times you already have the products in your house," she says. During winter, beauty is all about moisturzing.
For lips, Favin suggests a once-a-week lip scrub made from sugar, olive oil and honey.
"You just mix the three together until it's like a paste and then you take that paste -- you'll feel the granules of sugar -- you take that paste and you rub it on your lips inside your lip line and outside your lip line for a minute," she explains.
Favin also says you can make a great face mask out of milk, "gram" or garbanzo bean flour, and the Indian spice turmeric.
She explains that turmeric has many benefits. "It's by nature antibiotic, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory. And it's also shown to slow down the signs of aging and prevent acne."
She advises mixing the ingredients into a paste, spreading the paste on your face and letting it harden. After about 20 minutes, rinse it off.
She promises, "You'll be astonished at how smooth and silky your skin feels. I've never had anything done in a spa or at home that makes it feel like this."
To moisturize your hair, Favin suggests mixing an egg, a banana, an avocado, three tablespoons each of mayonaise and olive oil with 2 tablespoons of almond milk. Saturate your hair from roots to tips with the mixture and leave it on for two hours before shampooing.
To check out current Groupon health, wellness and beauty deals, click here.
To get more of Favin the Beauty Maven's tips, click here.
lifestyle, money saving, online saving, saving with 6abc, amy buckman
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 13 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Video: Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain