Suspected killer recaptured after escape
TREVOSE, Pa. - December 14, 2009 (WPVI) -- A suspected killer is back in custody after escaping prison on Thanksgiving Day.
Oscar Alvarado, 27, from North Philadelphia, was captured Monday afternoon at the Neshaminy Motor Inn at 2345 Old Lincoln Highway in Trevose, Pa.
Alvarado had apparently been staying in the inn for the past few days.
Police say two other people who were with Alvarado when he was caught will also be charged.
Alvarado escaped from the Curran Frumhold Correctional Center where he had been held for more than a year.
Police say, between 3pm and 5pm on Thanksgiving, Alvarado managed to use an unauthorized visitor's pass to get through two security check points, a dozen corrections officers and into the visitors area where he put on civilian clothes. He was wearing dark pants and a light-colored T-shirt when he walked out among other Thanksgiving visitors.
The prison notified the Philadelphia police around 9:30pm that he was missing.
It's the first time there's been an escape from the 14-year-old jail complex.
Alvarado was charged with a murder in North Philadelphia's Fairhill Square Park at 4th and Lehigh in October, 2008.
He and his cousin, who was also arrested and charged with murder, were set to go on trial early in the new year.
In addition to the link to the murder case, Alvarado has an extensive arrest record for drugs and weapons.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, prison escape, crime
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police