Suspected killer recaptured after escape
TREVOSE, Pa. - December 14, 2009 (WPVI) -- A suspected killer is back in custody after escaping prison on Thanksgiving Day.
Oscar Alvarado, 27, from North Philadelphia, was captured Monday afternoon at the Neshaminy Motor Inn at 2345 Old Lincoln Highway in Trevose, Pa.
Alvarado had apparently been staying in the inn for the past few days.
Police say two other people who were with Alvarado when he was caught will also be charged.
Alvarado escaped from the Curran Frumhold Correctional Center where he had been held for more than a year.
Police say, between 3pm and 5pm on Thanksgiving, Alvarado managed to use an unauthorized visitor's pass to get through two security check points, a dozen corrections officers and into the visitors area where he put on civilian clothes. He was wearing dark pants and a light-colored T-shirt when he walked out among other Thanksgiving visitors.
The prison notified the Philadelphia police around 9:30pm that he was missing.
It's the first time there's been an escape from the 14-year-old jail complex.
Alvarado was charged with a murder in North Philadelphia's Fairhill Square Park at 4th and Lehigh in October, 2008.
He and his cousin, who was also arrested and charged with murder, were set to go on trial early in the new year.
In addition to the link to the murder case, Alvarado has an extensive arrest record for drugs and weapons.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, prison escape, crime
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 39 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 47 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 18 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
18 min ago