New evidence solves 12-year-old rape in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - January 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- It was 1998 when someone sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl in North Philadelphia. Now, police finally have a suspect.
Investigators at the Special Victims Unit say through modern DNA analysis they have been able to make an arrest in the 12-year-old rape case.
On February 1, 1998, A 15-year-old girl was raped by two men. she was walking with a male friend around midnight near 20th and Sedgley in North Philadelphia.
The friend was robbed while the attack took place. Police say DNA was collected and an unidentified John Doe profile developed.
Capt. John Darby of the Philadelphia Police details what happened on July 2009: ""
The match identified 33-year-old Calvin Gadson of North 43rd Street.
Darby says Gadson's DNA was in the national database from prior convictions for robbery and weapons offenses. In October, armed with a search warrant, police got a swab from Gadson. It was a match and he was arrested on January 4th.
Unlike TV shows this case wasn't solved in an hour. It was a long and complicated scientific process but police believe they have their man. They say the victim, who is now about 27, was elated to learn of the arrest.
There was a second rapist and police are still working to find him.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, rape, dna, crime, cathy gandolfo
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 5 min ago
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Video: Caught on tape: Huge tornado in Kansas
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list