Dog fighting operation busted in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- The SPCA says it has broken up a suspected dog fighting ring in Philadelphia.
Police came to a house on North Delhi Street at shortly after 1:00 a.m. on Tuesday.
They were looking for a man who had been involved in a shooting a few blocks away.
During their search, they uncovered what appeared to be a dog fighting arena.
The Pennsylvania SPCA was called, and by 2:30 a.m. officers served a search warrant at the home.
Investigators say that location has been under investigation for months.
Once inside, the SPCA says it found seven pit bulls and one cat. One of the dogs was discovered dead in the basement.
"The area where the fighting ring was found was covered in blood," Pennsylvania SPCA Director of Law Enforcement George Bengal said in a statement.
The alleged operator, who has not yet been identified, was not at home when the search warrant was executed. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.
A woman who was at the home was arrested and charged with third-degree felony animal cruelty. She has been identified as 36-year-old Shelly Lowrey.
The animals were taken to Pennsylvania SPCA headquarters at 350 E. Erie Ave. for medical evaluation. The six remaining dogs had various levels of scarring with one dog needing surgery for injuries related to a recent fight, the SPCA said.
Veterinarians stitched up an open eye wound and had to take care of an infection. The dogs ears were also pretty chewed up.
Investigators say some of the dogs were kept outside during the recent cold spell.
The backyard has been connected to an adjacent yard, the home of the man who was shot this morning.
Investigators say it's a cruel business.
"Anybody who can sit back and watch two animals tear each other apart... It's something most of us can't even comprehend," said Officer Nicole Wilson of the PSPCA.
The SPCA added all the animals that survived are in protective custody and are not available for adoption at this time.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, dog fighting, crime
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 11 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 46 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 11 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
11 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
11 min ago