Robbers steal $100K worth of jewelry, leave boy
CENTER CITY - February 27, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are searching for a couple of thieves who got away with a big haul and left a little boy behind.
They abandoned the 4-year-old boy a few blocks from the crime scene in Center City.
At around 3:00 p.m., the couple entered Platinum and Ice Jewelry store on South Street with the boy.
Suddenly, they snatched a tray of rings worth $100,000 and ran with the boy in tow.
The store owner and his employee chased, and caught up to the fleeing couple on Rodman Street.
Then the man pulled a knife.
"There, there was a verbal encounter where the male let go of the child's hand and slashed the store owner, then they turned and ran, leaving the child behind," Captain Lawrence Nodiff of the Philadelphia Police said.
The store owner needed a dozen stitches in the neck.
If you recognize the boy, call detectives at 215-686-3013.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, robbery, crime
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police