Police: 42-year-old murder case now closed
RICHBORO, Pa. - March 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- After 42 years, police are finally able to say "case closed" in the murder of a 16-year-old girl.
Candace Clothier's decomposed body was found inside a black cloth bag along the Neshaminy Creek in Northampton in April, 1968.
It wasn't until 2005 that police got a tip that helped them crack the case. A Northeast Philadelphia woman told them she'd given the bag to her husband the night Clothier disappeared.
"Two males were present in the vehicle and, after her husband communicated with them, he requested her laundry bag which she provided," said Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler.
Clothier vanished after leaving her Torresdale home on Leon Street to meet friends in Mayfair.
As she walked to the trolley investigators believe the two men, one of whom she knew, drove up and offered a ride.
Investigators believe the two men brought the 16-year-old to what was then a popular hangout on Decatur Road. It was there, police believe, at least one of the men either injected Clothier or provided her with a powerful narcotic that eventually killed her.
Police say the suspects dumped her body off Chain Bridge on Route 232. Several fishermen found the bag down the Neshaminy Creek six weeks later.
Authorities say all of the suspects are now dead, and names are not being released.
"They will never have the opportunity to defend themselves and it would accordingly be wrong to disclose their names," said Heckler.
Investigators say the announcement is a great relief to Clothier's only living direct relative, her sister.
It's also closure for a department that's been investigating for 42 years.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, bucks county, homicide, cold case, crime
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 31 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 43 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 16 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 7 min ago
- Officials: Feb. pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 28 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 16 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
8 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
43 min ago