Cop accused in sex case due in court
BENSALEM, Pa. - May 27, 2010 (WPVI) -- Former Bensalem Police Sergeant Michael Marren faces a preliminary hearing in court today.
Investigators say Marren sexually assaulted a 23-year-old woman on the Bensalem rescue squad back in March.
Marren was the head of Bensalem's police special victims unit, which is charged with investigating sex crimes.
Marren is accused of raping a 23-year-old member of the Bensalem Rescue Squad on March 9th following a night of drinking at a local bar. Apparently, members had gathered to mourn the loss of a fellow employee.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Marren sexually assaulted the woman in a restroom of the rescue squad's building despite her pleas that this was not a good idea, that he was drunk and that he should think about his wife.
After the assault, the report states, Marren told the victim "I hope you are O.K, because I have a really good lawyer." Fellow squad members found the alleged victim crying.
Marren did not open the door when Action News went to his home to get his side of the story. But he previously told investigators that it was the woman who made sexual advances toward him, and that he rebuffed her actions.
Marren has been terminated from the Bensalem Police Department in the wake of the investigation by Bucks County detectives.
Marren was released from jail after posting 10% of his $100,000 dollar bail.
pennsylvania, bucks county, sex assault, crime
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes 51 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 24 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware 34 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands