Reward increase for Liliana Acevedo
August 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- Kenny Gomez fondly remembers his cousin Liliana Acevedo."Great person, her nickname was 'smiles' because she always had a great smile on her face," Kenny said.
Her family had planned a gathering to watch a boxing match Saturday night May 1st.
At about 10:40 p.m., Liliana parked her car outside the home on the 200 block of West Erie Avenue in Philadelphia's Juniata Section.
"She parked the car, got out of the car, [and] went to the backseat to retrieve her bag," Kenny said.
That's when police say a car came down the road and hit Liliana, killing her. The driver never stopped.
"The family heard an impact inside of the house. When they ran out they saw crowds just gathering across the street and unfortunately it was her," Kenny said.
The vehicle is described as a late 80's-early 90's white, American made, 4-door, box type vehicle. There is no tint, stock wheels and damage to the passenger side headlight, turn signal and fender. There is possibly damage to the passenger side windshield and side view mirror.
"For the family right now, we need some closure. We can't rest, we're going to keep on going until this person is caught," Kenny said.
There's a $15,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, crimefighters, hit and run, crime
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 25 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
25 min ago