"Condom with teeth" making internet waves
August 10, 2010 (WPVI) -- One of the hottest search terms on the internet leads people to a device intended to combat violent rapes.
Searches for the phrase "condom with teeth" have been spared by a device called the Rape-aXe which was created by a South African doctor several years ago. There's no clear evidence why it became such a popular search term on the internet today, however the phrase was posted in an entry on textsfromlastnight.com.
The device contains several rows of plastic "teeth" that latch onto a man when a rape is committed.
Resulting pain is so severe, says designer Dr. Sonnet Ehlers, that it gives the victim a chance to get away. A man caught in one of the Rape-aXe devices can't remove it himself and will require a doctor's help.
According to a report from CNN on the device, Dr. Ehlers was on call one night four decades ago when a devastated rape victim walked in. Her eyes were lifeless; she was like a breathing corpse. "She looked at me and said, 'If only I had teeth down there,'" recalled Ehlers, who was a 20-year-old medical researcher at the time. "I promised her I'd do something to help people like her one day." Forty years later, Rape-aXe was born.
During the World Cup soccer tournament, Ehlers planned to distribute 30,000 of the devices for free. Their suggested price is $2 each.
rape, south africa, crime
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say 50 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital 30 min ago
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally