Victim's mother reacts to prisoner escape
PHILADELPHIA - August 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- Investigators along with the U.S. Marshal's office say they've searched over a dozen locations over the past several days, but Omar Roane remains on the run.
Michelle Young said she was a little shocked after learning her son's alleged killer, Roane, had escaped.
It was June 2009 when police say Roane robbed and killed Kyree Young while he walked home from work.
Police arrested Roane, 22, for the crime only recently and Kyree's mother didn't even know it.
"It's been really hard, very hard and now to know that he escaped, that's even worse," Michelle said.
Roane escaped Saturday around 2:30 in the afternoon. He was being escorted with 8 other inmates to the Curran Fromhold Prison when the Philadelphia police van in which he was riding made a stop at Frankford and Cottman avenues.
"The officers became aware that the door had become ajar, they went to look and see two of the individuals they see running from the van," Philadelphia Police Lieutenant Frank Vanore said.
The officers jumped out of the vehicle and quickly captured the two prisoners, but a handcuffed Roane was gone.
Police are blaming a malfunctioning rear door for allowing the inmates to getaway.
"What I found out is that particular van had some type of malfunction on one of the doors and the bolt came loose and the door became open where the three were able to move and get out," Vanore said.
Commissioner Ramsey has recalled the faulty transportation vans and taken them off the street pending an investigation.
Roane is 5'8, 125 pounds, and has several tattoos including 'YHM' on the left side of his neck, 2 tear drops on his upper left cheek, and 'RIP ROB' on his right hand.
Police do not believe there is any wrongdoing on behalf of the officers involved, but it is an open investigation.
There is a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest of Roane.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, prison escape, crime, chad pradelli
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 59 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 22 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 59 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
59 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos