Amber Alert cancelled after boy, father found
MEDFORD TWP., N.J. - August 25, 2010 (WPVI) -- An Amber Alert issued for a New Jersey boy and his father, a convicted sex offender, has been cancelled now that the two have been found.
38-year-old Terry Dusseault and his 8-year-old son, also named Terry but known as T.J., were spotted in Medford Township shortly before 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Medford Township Police say they received a 911 call from a motorist who spotted the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe listed in the Amber Alert being driven by Dusseault on Route 70 east.
A marked Medford Township patrol unit located the vehicle and conducted a car stop in a Shop Rite parking lot.
Dusseault was taken into custody without incident.
Authorities say T.J. was alive and unharmed. He was placed into the custody of the state Division of Youth and Family Services, and he even waved to TV cameras as he left the police station.
Dusseault was placed in the Burlington County Jail on $500,000 bail with no 10 percent option.
Police say he will likely have a first court appearance Thursday afternoon in Burlington County Superior Court.
Chopper 6 HD was overhead as the Hyundai SUV was towed away from the scene.
"We are very happy that everyone is safe and sound, and we're just thankful that our prayers have been answered," said family friend Amy White, the registered owner of that Hyundai.
Dusseault allegedly took White's SUV without her permission. As she came to retrieve her car, White saw T.J. and said he appeared to be in good spirits.
"He's coloring and he's eating McDonald's and he's doing well. He's in great hands," she said.
Brian Keiss of Mt. Laurel saw Dusseault in the holding cell said he appeared very calm.
"It didn't seem like he had a care in the world, just sitting there, smiling. I asked him how his day was and he looked over, smiled, and said 'Good,'" Keiss said.
The alert was put out after Dusseault's brother became worried about Dusseault's mental state after he disappeared with his son from their Lumberton home on Tuesday. The child's mother is deceased.
Police say Dusseault fled to avoid arrest on charges that he sexually assaulted three Burlington County girls over the past 18 months.
Dusseault is on North Carolina's sex offender registry after he was placed on probation for a child porn charge in 2007.
new jersey, burlington county, amber alert, crime
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 25 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 38 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ