Victim had 45 wounds in fatal Pa. stabbing
EASTON, Pa. - August 31, 2010 -- A Pennsylvania coroner says a woman suffered 45 knife wounds in a brutal attack that also killed her father, grandfather and a neighbor.
Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek says 39-year-old Denise Merhi tried to defend herself as she was fatally stabbed June 26 inside her Northampton home.
Lysek testified Tuesday at the preliminary hearing for Merhi's former boyfriend, 37-year-old convicted murder Michael Eric Ballard. Ballard was ordered to stand trial on charges he killed Merhi, her 62-year-old father, 87-year-old grandfather and a neighbor who ran to the house after hearing screams.
Lysek says all four victims were stabbed multiple times. Merhi's grandfather was found dead in his wheelchair.
At the time of the killings, Ballard was on parole for a 1991 murder in Allentown and was living in a halfway house there.
pennsylvania, northampton county, stabbing, crime
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 36 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 8 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
8 min ago