Victim had 45 wounds in fatal Pa. stabbing
EASTON, Pa. - August 31, 2010 -- A Pennsylvania coroner says a woman suffered 45 knife wounds in a brutal attack that also killed her father, grandfather and a neighbor.
Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek says 39-year-old Denise Merhi tried to defend herself as she was fatally stabbed June 26 inside her Northampton home.
Lysek testified Tuesday at the preliminary hearing for Merhi's former boyfriend, 37-year-old convicted murder Michael Eric Ballard. Ballard was ordered to stand trial on charges he killed Merhi, her 62-year-old father, 87-year-old grandfather and a neighbor who ran to the house after hearing screams.
Lysek says all four victims were stabbed multiple times. Merhi's grandfather was found dead in his wheelchair.
At the time of the killings, Ballard was on parole for a 1991 murder in Allentown and was living in a halfway house there.
pennsylvania, northampton county, stabbing, crime
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 7 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 25 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 24 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 31 min ago
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
11 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos