Police: Delco man drove mom to MD, killed her
BERLIN, Md. - September 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say a man from Delaware County drove his elderly mother to Maryland where he repeatedly ran her over with his car, killing her.
Steven Molin, 58, of Darby is charged with murder in the death of his mother, 85-year-old Emily Belle Molin.
Police say Molin picked up his mother from the Sterling Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Nursing home in Media, Pa. and drove her to Maryland on Tuesday.
Then, just before midnight, the Worcester County, Md. Sheriff's Dept. responded to a reported vehicle accident on Carey Road in Berlin.
Emily Molin was found to be injured and was rushed to the hospital where she died from her injuries.
During the investigation, police say Steven Molin told them his mother fell out of the vehicle, so he then backed up after discovering she had fallen.
The elder Molin was run over two to three times, police said.
Police say they investigated Molin, and decided his story didn't match up with the evidence. He was then charged with murder.
Molin is now being held in Worcester County without bond.
There was a history of Molin abusing his mother and the Delaware County Office of Services for the Aging had a guardian assigned to her in the nursing home. That guardian gave permission for Molin to sign her out.
Action News has learned the identity of that guardian is Carol J. Hershey, who is the Executive Director of Guardian Services of Pa.
When contacted by Action News, Guardian Services of Pa. said 'no comment.'
pennsylvania, delaware county, maryland, homicide, crime
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say 38 min ago
- Man critically wounded by gunfire in Wilmington 23 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished