Elderly couple attacked, speak for first time
VINELAND, N.J. - September 7, 2010 (WPVI) -- A husband and wife in Vineland, New Jersey are trying to carry on with their lives almost 3 months after being assaulted by bandits. Both are 70, and both spoke exclusively to Action News.After 2-and-a-half months in the hospital, William Ocasio is finally home with his wife, Ledy.
"And we want to thank everyone for their prayers, because God has done a miracle with him," said Sara Frietas, the victim's daughter.
Ocasio almost died from his injuries and was in a coma for a long time after he was savagely beaten during a robbery.
It was back on June 18th at 11:36 p.m. when he and his wife were returning home in the 200 block of Yelkca Avenue. That's when they were ambushed after parking their vending truck in their driveway by two armed gunmen wearing ski masks who demanded all the cash.
"I tell him if you want the money, take the money but don't hurt my husband, don't hurt me, please," said Ledy.
"And I gave them the money, so after they had the money in their hands, they hit me with that bar," said William.
"I hear my husband yell. I'm nervous, my nerves are freezing, I am very, very nervous," said Ledy.
William was struck hard over the head with a crowbar rendering him unconscious. His wife was also struck hard over the head but she managed to run to a neighbor's house for help.
Both were airlifted to hospitals in critical condition.
William later suffered a heart attack. To this day he suffers neurological problems and, according to their daughter, both their lives have been terribly changed.
"They're fearful of being in their own house at night. They don't sleep well at night. Any little sound they hear, they're looking out the window. And they're afraid, really to be alone at night time," said Sara.
Presently, police have no leads and are asking for the public's help. A reward of up to $8,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the culprits involved in this heinous crime.
Anyone with information is being asked to call Vineland Police or Crime Stoppers of Vineland at 856-691-0345.
assault, vineland, new jersey, crime, dann cuellar
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion 22 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls 28 min ago
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill 30 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 17 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
22 min ago
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East...
28 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts...
17 min ago
- SPCA rescues abandoned dog in Germantown
21 min ago