Elderly couple attacked, speak for first time
VINELAND, N.J. - September 7, 2010 (WPVI) -- A husband and wife in Vineland, New Jersey are trying to carry on with their lives almost 3 months after being assaulted by bandits. Both are 70, and both spoke exclusively to Action News.After 2-and-a-half months in the hospital, William Ocasio is finally home with his wife, Ledy.
"And we want to thank everyone for their prayers, because God has done a miracle with him," said Sara Frietas, the victim's daughter.
Ocasio almost died from his injuries and was in a coma for a long time after he was savagely beaten during a robbery.
It was back on June 18th at 11:36 p.m. when he and his wife were returning home in the 200 block of Yelkca Avenue. That's when they were ambushed after parking their vending truck in their driveway by two armed gunmen wearing ski masks who demanded all the cash.
"I tell him if you want the money, take the money but don't hurt my husband, don't hurt me, please," said Ledy.
"And I gave them the money, so after they had the money in their hands, they hit me with that bar," said William.
"I hear my husband yell. I'm nervous, my nerves are freezing, I am very, very nervous," said Ledy.
William was struck hard over the head with a crowbar rendering him unconscious. His wife was also struck hard over the head but she managed to run to a neighbor's house for help.
Both were airlifted to hospitals in critical condition.
William later suffered a heart attack. To this day he suffers neurological problems and, according to their daughter, both their lives have been terribly changed.
"They're fearful of being in their own house at night. They don't sleep well at night. Any little sound they hear, they're looking out the window. And they're afraid, really to be alone at night time," said Sara.
Presently, police have no leads and are asking for the public's help. A reward of up to $8,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the culprits involved in this heinous crime.
Anyone with information is being asked to call Vineland Police or Crime Stoppers of Vineland at 856-691-0345.
assault, vineland, new jersey, crime, dann cuellar
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 53 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
20 min ago