Police: Woman ran Delco brothel while son in school
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - September 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested two women after they raided an alleged brothel run out of a Delaware County home.
Police say Margaret Dougherty, 41, ran the brothel out of her home on Ardmore Avenue in Upper Darby.
However, it was only open during the day while her son was in school.
The other woman arrested, Amy Prudish, 38, of Riegelsville, is alleged to be one of the prostitutes.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says his department was tipped off by concerned neighbors and an ad for "massages by beautiful women."
Police say an undercover officer went to the house was greeted by Prudish, who offered to perform sex acts for a tip.
The officer refused but came back the next day, where he claimed Prudish agreed to accept $200 for sex.
That's when police moved in and arrested the women.
Officers say they also found log books filled with names, dates and phone numbers. Guns, a computer and cell phones were also seized.
Chitwood said Prudish, a single mom of two, had built up fairly large clientele base since the operation started about a year ago.
"She would only come down if there were at least four clients available for that particular day, and they would run the operation from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.," Chitwood said.
He also added that this investigation is not over yet.
"We believe there were several other women involved," Chitwood said. "Right now we've closed them down for good, hopefully."
pennsylvania, delaware county, prostitution, crime
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos