Police: Pa. man with HIV fathered child with girl
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - September 22, 2010 -- Authorities in northern Pennsylvania say an HIV-positive man is in custody after he fathered a child with a 14-year-old girl.
Police in Williamsport arrested 49-year-old Lawrence Newman on Tuesday and charged him with statutory sexual assault and related offenses.
A police affidavit says authorities received a letter about the relationship last month. Chief Lycoming County Detective William Weber says Newman and the girl initially claimed the child had been fathered by a teen from New Jersey, but later acknowledged having a sexual relationship.
According to court papers, Newman told police he tested positive for HIV several years ago.
Newman is being held on $20,000 bail. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.
Weber says the child is being cared for by family members.
Information from: Williamsport Sun-Gazette, http://www.sungazette.com
AIDS, child sex assault, rape, pennsylvania, crime
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 25 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 20 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 36 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos