Police: Pa. man with HIV fathered child with girl
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - September 22, 2010 -- Authorities in northern Pennsylvania say an HIV-positive man is in custody after he fathered a child with a 14-year-old girl.
Police in Williamsport arrested 49-year-old Lawrence Newman on Tuesday and charged him with statutory sexual assault and related offenses.
A police affidavit says authorities received a letter about the relationship last month. Chief Lycoming County Detective William Weber says Newman and the girl initially claimed the child had been fathered by a teen from New Jersey, but later acknowledged having a sexual relationship.
According to court papers, Newman told police he tested positive for HIV several years ago.
Newman is being held on $20,000 bail. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.
Weber says the child is being cared for by family members.
Information from: Williamsport Sun-Gazette, http://www.sungazette.com
AIDS, child sex assault, rape, pennsylvania, crime
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book