Police: Rape victim was held for $20,000 ransom
JUNIATA - September 29, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for two men and a woman in the abduction and rape of another woman who was discovered bound and nearly naked along the road in a remote area of Fairmount Park.
In a Wednesday afternoon news conference, Philadelphia police say the 28-year-old victim was held in a closet for 24 hours while her kidnappers demanded she pay them a ransom of $20,000.
According to investigators, the ransom was not paid.
The victim was not beaten, as earlier believed, but she was raped before being abandoned, police said.
Three women who happened to be driving near Belmont Mansion and Chamounix heard the woman screaming for help around four o'clock on Tuesday afternoon.
"Several motorists were driving this way, and they heard a female, an adult female, calling out for help in this wooded area," said Lieutenant Frank Palumbo.
The victim tells detectives that she was abducted on Monday from the 3900 block of Lawndale in the Juniata Park section.
She says she was taken to another location where she was sexually assaulted.
When she was discovered in the park, the woman was lying in the grass by the side of the road. She was exhausted and bound with restraints.
"Some of her clothing was in disarray, and there was some indication that an assault had occurred," Lieutenant Palumbo said.
The victim was treated and released from the hospital. Police are hoping she can provide more clues about what happened to her.
Despite the fact that she was discovered in Fairmount Park, police do not believe this abduction was the work of the notorious Fairmount Park rapist.
assault, police, abduction, philadelphia, pennsylvania, sarah bloomquist, brian taff, vernon odom, crime
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting